When we hear the word ‘Airport’, we usually think about flights, boarding passes, check-ins, and coffee shops! The Dubai Government is slowly changing how business owners perceive Airports. The government of Dubai aims to increase foreign investment drastically by driving foreign capital in the city through various ventures.
Freezone is one initiative of the government’s strategic plan to be an investment driven economy. There are multiple Freezones not just in Dubai alone, but also in neighboring emirates like Abu Dhabi, Ajman etc.
Of the most famous and economically favorable free zone is the Dubai Airport Freezone, commonly known as DAFZA. Established in 1996 as part of the special economic free zone, the DAFZA is today one of the fastest growing free zones in the region. It contributes to 4.7% of Dubai’s GDP.
Foundation: What started as initially only two central buildings and one warehouse facility has today translated into 690,000 square meters areas and has extended into 134 buildings and 256 warehouses.
Before we go into details of business setup in Dubai Airport free zone, it will be a good idea to look into the benefits of setting up business in DAFZA first.
DAFZA offers your business a unique location, position, and incentives to run your business profitably.
- Strategic location in the heart of Emirate, Dubai- Just next to the airport
- World class facilities like pristine high tech offices, access to local markets, prime accommodations, conference rooms etc.
- Easy administrative services-Single window
- State of the art infrastructure
- 24/7 custom services
- Rapid cargo services
- Dedicated logistics partner
- Round the clock services
- Investor-oriented management services
- 100% corporate tax exemption
- 100% import and export tax exemption
- 100%personal income tax exemption
- No restrictions on currency
- 100% repatriation on capital and profits
- 100% foreign company ownership
Partner community: It is very important to have a robust support system in the area where your business is set up. DAFZA offers a brilliant partner support system to help your business to flourish.
Here is the list of support functions in Dubai Airport Free Zone
- Dubai chamber of commerce
- Dubai customs
- Employment visa and residency
- Emirate ID authority
- Police station
- Medical fitness center
- Emirates post
- Ambulance system
Company incorporation in Dubai Airport Freezone in 4 easy steps
- To start with you must know what kind of company you want to incorporate. For this steady understanding of the company, the type is required. At the moment there are two kinds of company formation options available.
- Freezone Company (FZO): There can be minimum one shareholder to a maximum of 50 shareholders. An owner can be an individual or non-individual (company). A minimum share capital of AED 1000/- is required to start the business setup. Each share must be in the denomination of AED 1000/-
- A branch office of an existing company: In case you are the owner of a foreign company and wish to open a branch of your company, then this option is appropriate for you. A huge plus point is that no share capital is required in this case.
- Deciding on the office space in the commercial complex: In the state of the art business park are available a range of high quality, custom size offices for rent on an annual lease basis.
The offerings can be divided into the following types
- Office packages
- Executive suites
- Light industrial units
- Smart desk office packages
- Licensing and business activity type: Before you venture out into a particular business type it is import to know the types of licenses involved. You must also be aware of the types of permitted business activities in this zone.
Permitted business activities
- Banking/ finance/credit business
- Spacecraft and aircraft
- Oil/petrochemical/natural gas
- Electronics and electrical
- Transport and shipping
- Travel agency
- Jeweler and cosmetics
The list is extensive and is important in zeroing down on the business activity. Seek the assistance of an international business consultant who has helped hundreds of business owners identify suitable business activity and set up business in Dubai Airport Free Zone.
Types of licenses
- Trade license: This is required for import, export, storage, and distribution of products
- Servicing license: This is required for business services.
- Submission of mandatory documents to the authority:
List of documents to be submitted to the Dubai Chamber of Commerce and industry
- Duly filled an application form
- Letter of intent
- Business plan
- Financial report of the company
- Company profile/company brochure
- Personal bank statement for 6 months
- Original bank reference letter
- CV and passport copy of the shareholder
- CV and passport copy of the company manager
- No objection letter from the sponsor- in case it is a UAE based company
The documents which require attestation must be attested UAE embassy in the country of origin and notarized by the notary public.
Post the submission of these documents you will get your business license within 2 working days and you are ready to start operations.
Lastly, for the newbies in Dubai, we would also like to share some information on the Transportation:
Dubai transportation from DAFZA: There is excellent public and personal transport system available
- Dubai Metro
- Downtown Burj Dubai tramway
- Al Sufouh tram
- Dubai water taxi
- Car hire
- Freight transport Dubai
DAFZA is one of the leading Freezones, not just in Dubai, but also all over the Middle East. Due to its easy accessibility and world-class infrastructure, it is becoming a business hub for global conglomerates.
In case you are a budding entrepreneur with a business idea or a seasoned player looking to expand your business in the Middle East, then get in touch with reputed international business consultants Commitbiz.
Our team helps businesses to set up, grow and run profitably over the course of time. We also help simplify the registration and approval procedures for you, So that you can only focus on your business venture while we take care of the formalities.
Contact us for more information.