The Bahrain International Airport (BIA) was established in 1927 as the first airport serving the Kingdom of Bahrain and operates as a significant aviation hub in the region. Located in Al Muharraq, an island situated seven kilometres North of Manama, the capital of Bahrain and close to the Bahrain Logistics Zone, Bahrain Investment Wharf offering intermodal connectivity to goods moving across the region. The airport caters to multiple airlines and has been a critical distribution hub to global cargo companies, for over 30 years. BIA is managed and operated by Bahrain Airport Company (BAC), a wholly owned subsidiary of Mumtalakat.
The Bahrain International Airport serves as a driver of economic growth in the region by offering top-notch airport facilities and modern air logistics. The revolutionary services provided in the BIA are in line with the Ministry of Transportation and Telecommunications’ objective to transform the existing terminal into a world-class facility in line with the Kingdom’s long-term Bahrain Economic Vision 2030 and its reputation as a leading financial, cultural and aviation centre in the Middle East.
Features of Bahrain International Airport
- 3900-meter runway offers excellent ground for air cargo operations
- Secure and 24/7 monitored perimeter fence
- Modern Air Traffic Control centre with latest Air Traffic Management system
- State-of-the-art security systems with Bahrain Airport Super Gate
- Modern airport Fire Station
- Containerized Data Centre
- Central Utility Complex
- Specialized Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul (MRO) zone
- Dedicated logistics operations and cargo area
- Advanced Digital Mobile Radio (DMR) for staff
Specialised Capacities in Bahrain International Airport
- Air cargo packaging and dispatching centres
- Freight forwarding services
- Air cargo aircraft handling
- Ground cooling system for maintaining cool cargo
- Additional aircraft parking bays
- Modern fuel farm for air-fuel storage
- Energy and Water efficient buildings
- Planned capacity of handling 14 million passengers annually
- Close to Bahrain Logistics Zone one of the largest logistics zones in the region handling wide-variety of cargo from air, land and sea
Facilities for Passengers in the Bahrain International Airport
- Trax comfortable low-back seating system for passengers
- Multi-storey car parking
- Self-service check-in kiosks under IATA Fast Travel Initiative
- Convenient retail complex nearby the main terminal
- Numerous restaurants and cafeterias offering wide-variety of cuisines
- Banking services (Ahli United Bank and National Bank of Bahrain offer onsite banking services)
- ATM’s (Offered by major firms such as HSBC, Bahrain Islamic Bank, Al Baraka)
- Currency exchange (Travelex and BFC (Bahrain Financing Company) offer currency exchange services operating 24 hours.)
- Baggage trolleys (Available from arrivals hall level 1)
- Lost and Found
- Bahrain Post office
- Duty-free shopping (Bahrain Duty-Free operates several stores offering round-the-clock duty-free shopping experience)
Lounges Available in Bahrain International Airport
The Bahrain International Airport offers several discrete lounges services for premium passengers, business people and families
1. Gulf Air Business and First-Class Lounge
The Gulf Air business luxury lounge offers Dining room, Family Section, Business Centre, Quiet room and Prayer rooms). Located on an upper level accessed by escalators from the departures area at Gate 15 and overlooking the main apron inside the security.
2. Dilmun Lounge
The Dilmun luxury lounge offers buffet serving a varied selection of premium food and beverages, open bar, family room, children’s area, special services for disabled passengers including washrooms, shower facilities, sleeper seats, separate smoking rooms, wireless internet connection, IT centres, telephones, fax machine, and flight information monitor. Besides to this, the passenger can get private rooms paying additional fees at the front desk. The Passengers can use this lounge by paying in cash or credit card on an hourly basis. The lounge is located on airside 1st floor near Gate 16.
3. Hala Bahrain Arrivals Lounge
The lounge offers waiting rooms with newspapers, television, separate smoking rooms, and Wi-Fi access points. The lounge is located on arrivals corridor airside before immigration.
4. Hala Bahrain Awal Lounge
The Hala Bahrain Awal lounge prepares you for safe travel by offering high-speed Wi-Fi access, entertainment, internet terminals, telephones, flight monitors, non-alcoholic beverages beer & wine, alcoholic beverages spirits & liquor, snacks, and meals. This lounge also has a separate smoking zone. Besides, to this, the lounge offers private rooms where the passenger can avail the service by paying additional fees. The lounge is located on airside near Gate 14.
5. Hala Bahrain Al Dana Lounge
The Hala Bahrain Al Dana Lounge offers waiting rooms with newspapers, beer & wine, spirits & liquor, premium food, snacks, internet terminals, separate smoking rooms, television, and Wi-Fi access points. The lounge is located on airside inside security.
6. Hala Bahrain Upper Lounge
The Hala Bahrain Upper Lounge offers amenities to passengers and businesspeople by offering waiting rooms with entertainment, premium food and beverages, snacks, telephones, internet terminals and Wi-Fi access. The lounge is located on airside near Gate 17B.
7. Hala Bahrain Lower Lounge
The Hala Bahrain Lower Lounge offers waiting rooms with amenities to passengers and travellers. The lounge is located on airside near Gate 31-36.
8. Marhaba Lounge
The Marhaba lounge services partners with international lounge networks around the globe to bring you pre-bookable airport lounge access at both the outward and homeward ends of your journey. Marhaba lounges include Wi-Fi, tablets, international cuisine with premium beverages and business services. In addition to this, a premium lounge experience is available and can be booked individually or packaged with our gold or family meet & greet services. Light refreshments are available.
Services in Bahrain International Airport
1. Shuttle Service
With close access to beachside resorts as well as a variety of buzzy Manama neighbourhoods, the Bahrain International Airport offers shuttle wide-variety of shuttle services through either local sedan or taxi providers, having your bags taken care of while looking forward to total relaxation.
2. Bahrain International Airport Transportation Service
Without any significant high-speed light rail or train system set in place, ground transportation at BAH Airport is limited to bus lines along Airport Avenue and pre-paid taxis outside baggage claim.
3. Bus Service
Bahrain Road Transport Authority operates Airport bus service with several bus lines at Bahrain International Airport. A1 and A2 are connecting Bahrain Airport with Manama city centre along with Bus line 10, 11, 12, 32 and 33.
4. Car Rental & Taxi Service
You'll find a wide range of taxis at Bahrain International Airport. The taxi ride to Manama city centre should take 15 minutes, but it will always depend on the traffic and the destination.
5. Special Needs Service
Special needs services offer support and assistance to persons with disabilities. Furthermore, the Bahrain International Airport provides with disabled access to all levels
Visa in Bahrain International Airport
If you are a GCC citizen, no entry visa is required. If you are a citizen of any other country, you will need to apply for a visa through your nearest Kingdom of Bahrain embassy. In some cases, your airline may be able to help you. Passports must be valid for at least six months after departure for most countries.
- Visa-free entry for the citizens of GCC states with no restriction on travel and work
- Visa on Arrival/ e-Visa for the USA, Canada, Brazil, EU, Australia and 34 other countries & territories with validity for stays up to 1 month
- You can apply for a Visitor visa if you wish to visit the Kingdom of Bahrain temporarily for exhibition, conference etc. For this visa application to the Directorate of Immigration and Passport is required this type of visa is valid for a month
- You can apply for 72-hour visa as a business professional for this visa for small stays and business meetings or conferences
Click here to know more about the visa services in Bahrain.
Airlines Operating Passenger Services from the Bahrain International Airport
Aerologic, Air Arabia, Air India, Al Masria Universal Airlines, Al Naser Airlines, Arkefly, Atlas Global, Azerbaijan Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Egypt Air, Emirates, Etihad Airlines, Ethiopian Airlines, Fly Dubai, Georgian Airways, Gulf Air (Airline Hub for the Bahrain’s Flag Carrier), Iraqi Airways, Jazeera Airways, Jet Airways, KLM, Kuwait Airways, Lufthansa, Oman Air, Pegasus Airlines, Saudi Arabian Airlines, Sri Lankan Airlines, Sun Express, Syrian Arab Airlines, Travel Airlines, Turkish Airlines, Ural Airlines and Watania Airlines.
Airlines Operating Cargo Services from the Bahrain International Airport
Atlas Air, Cargolux, DHL International, Emirates Sky Cargo, Southern Air, Kalitta Air, Lufthansa Cargo, My Cargo Airlines, Swift air, Polar Airlines and Turkish Airlines
With world-class infrastructure, modern facilities, and low operating costs in the Middle East region the Bahrain International Airport's leading drivers of success have been its people and its focus on maintaining the highest level of service excellence in the Kingdom of Bahrain. BIA prides itself in being a friendly and efficient airport with service-oriented employees while it is steadily achieving its dream of becoming a centre of choice for new businesses and companies who are keen on getting their operations in the Middle East region. If you are interested in starting your business in the Kingdom of Bahrain, contact us for more knowing more information on the business environment, legal procedure and incorporation.