The Bahrain International Investment Park (BIIP) is a 2.5 million sq. Meters industrial park located in the Salman Industrial City, it was started with the aim to grow the industrial sector of the economy while boosting foreign direct investment into the Kingdom of Bahrain with high value-added projects. The BIIP is strategically positioned on the North coast of Bahrain taking only five minutes’ drive from the Bahrain Logistics Zone (BLZ) and ten minutes from the Khalifa bin Salman Port.
Established in 2015, the BIIP was designed and constructed to be a fully-serviced industrial manufacturing center with all essential amenities for companies by the Bahrain Industrial Areas Development Directorate which is a part of the Ministry of Industry, Commerce & Tourism (MOICT) as a part of the broader efforts in the Kingdom for attracting international foreign direct investment into the manufacturing sector and boosting export-oriented trade in the Kingdom of Bahrain.
The BIIP is not a considered a free zone as the businesses & companies located in the area are considered to operate from Bahrain mainland which is within the GCC market empowering them with seamless cross-border access with a regional promotion of their products and services.
Advantages of Setting up Business in Bahrain International Investment Park
- 100 percent foreign ownership
- No minimum capital requirements
- No recruitment restrictions for the first five years
- Free trade access to the USA
- Duty-free access to GCC markets under the Greater Arab Free Trade Area (GAFTA)
- Wider-duty free access to Singapore, Norway, Switzerland, Iceland, and Lichtenstein
- Exemption from import duty on raw materials and equipment
- 100 repatriation of capital and zero percent corporate tax guaranteed for ten years
- Streamlined procedures with several benefits
- Expertise and talent of an international human capital pool
- Strategic location adjacent to Bahrain Logistics Zone (BLZ), 3.3 km to Bahrain Investment Wharf, proximity to Khalifa bin Salman Port 6.3 km, twenty minutes from Bahrain International Airport (BIA) and 50 km from King Fahd Causeway which connects Bahrain to Saudi Arabia
Facilities in Bahrain International Investment Park
- Affordable and purpose-built infrastructure
- High-quality serviced industrial land
- Custom pre-built units available for companies
- Convenient serviced office spaces
- Full property ownership with a 25-year renewable lease
- Lower operating costs involved
- Excellent connectivity to Bahrain International Airport (BIA) and Khalifa bin Salman Port
Bahrain International Investment Park is Ideal for
Type of Business
- Large scale manufacturing (i.e., B.S.C Public, Foreign Company Branch)
- Small and Medium Enterprises (SME) (i.e., With Limited Liability Company (W.L.L), B.S.C Closed )
Types of Industries
- Food processing and packaging
- Aluminium smelting, rolling and export industries
- Iron and steel engineering
- Medical (i.e., Pharmaceuticals, medical devices)
- Construction material manufacturing
- Material and chemical processing (i.e., Plastics, Fiberglass, Petrochemicals)
- Information technology
- Consumer goods (i.e., Electronics, garments and textiles)
- International services (i.e., Consulting, marketing, logistics, knowledge-based services)
How to Set Up a Company in Bahrain International Investment Park
The investor who wishes to set up a business in the BIIP must complete the BIIP application form and submit the same along with a business plan for the project approval. A special committee in BIIP Bahrain has been established within the Ministry of Industry, Commerce, and Tourism to make recommendations to the Ministry on all applications for land on the industrial park.
Once the BIIP committee has approved the project, the next step involves organising a site survey. A special team will be set up to visit the survey where the project will be initiated. The team will also make an Environmental Assessment of the project after which the payment of administration fee by the investors shall be made.
The Industrial License according to the type of business is granted one month after filling the application form. While the final Industrial License is issued only after fulfilment of all the necessary requirements and obtaining approvals. After the applicant gets an Industrial License, the lease agreement must be signed for the industrial area. Once the lease has been approved, the company must then proceed to obtain a building permit to commence construction.
Documents Required for Setting up a Business in BIIP
- BIIP Application form
- Preliminary Industrial License
- Copy of the applicant CPR (if Bahraini resident) or passport (if Non-Bahraini)
- Outline of the proposed business plan
- A preliminary site development plan
Successful Foreign Companies Operating in Bahrain International Investment Park
- Mondelez Group (US food company)
- American Express (US Banking company)
- Ariston Thermo Group (Italian Thermo product manufacturer)
- MTQ Oilfield Services (A major Singapore specialist engineering services company)
- CPIC Abahsain Fiberglass M.E (Chinese & Saudi Arabian fibreglass manufacture)
- JBF Industries (Indian Polyester Company)
- Arabian Sugar Company (Saudi Arabia)
- Kintetsu Group (Japanese conglomerate in Freight forwarding)
- Siemens (German industrial manufacturing conglomerate)
- BASF (Internationally recognised German chemical manufacturer)
- Alstom (French multi-national rail transport company)
Why Set Up your Business in the Bahrain International Investment Park?
The Bahrain International Investment Park offers a unique opportunity for entrepreneurs and companies looking to start manufacturing and international business operations in Bahrain. The Park is positioned in a favourable location with excellent infrastructure bringing high quality foreign direct investment in Bahrain. The BIIP follows a well-established legal and financial mechanism, and a suitable environment for investors with access to one-stop-shop services which facilitates investors by assisting them through the application process up to the point that they sign the lease agreement and secure a building permit to construct the project.
By offering tax-free regime combined with full duty-free access to Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) markets, BIIP is an exclusive industrial business park in the Middle East with its advanced facilities and special customs services, that assist businesses in developing a unique base with direct connectivity to the very heart of regional markets.
If you are looking for setting up a business in the Kingdom of Bahrain, we at Commitbiz are here to help you make the process hassle-free. Contact us today as our Bahrain team is expert in offering you the right guidance and information regarding the incorporation of the company in the Kingdom of Bahrain according to the local laws, customs and business environment.