The Dubai Biotechnology and Research Park (DuBiotech) was launched in 2005 by Sheikh Mohammad bin Rashid Al Maktoum, making it a world attraction for biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies. This is the first free zone built and dedicated to the research and development of life science methods.
This free zone invites and encourages companies and investors from around the globe to form their biotech and other related companies and contribute their work. It is a subsidiary of the Dubai Government. It follows the legislation of the UAE with all the international standards established by the Food and Drug Administration and the World Health Organization in the life sciences sector.
The companies set up in this zone are supported by the Dubai Government and the Foundation for Research and Innovation for conducting research activities in medical, environmental, and agricultural businesses.
The Dubai Biotechnology and Research Park
This free zone comprises some modern facilities and unique features. Also, let us examine the licensing options and the permissible business entities per the authority.
- Executive offices which are fully furnished and equipped with business centers and meeting rooms, ideal for foreign companies. The workspaces here have a high-speed internet facility.
- There are work and office spaces according to a company's business needs. A laboratory space shell is designed to offer all the necessities for research and development purposes.
- The labs have easy access to compressed gas lines and a vacuum system. They also have access to waste management and are fitted with high safety precautions.
- The free zone provides an affordable land leasing area for manufacturing units, R&D facilities, training centers, warehousing, storage, headquarters, etc.
Permissible Business Entities
DuBiotech is one of the best spots for biomanufacturing companies. Such companies can set up their Dubai freezone company under any of the following three legal business forms:
1. Free Zone Limited Liability Company (FZ LLC)
A free zone LLC should have a minimum capital of AED 50,000, but for a company falling under one of the following segments, the minimum capital required is AED 300,000:
Manufacturing and Production Activity under the-
- Therapeutics Segment
- Food Segment
- Agricultural, Forestry & Horticulture Segment
- Environment Segment
- Medical/Scientific Devices or Equipment Segment
- Specialty Supplies Segment.
2. Branch of a UAE-Based Company
The company should be registered under the UAE government, and the individual or corporate person should be a resident of the Emirates. There is no requirement for minimum capital.
3. Branch of a Foreign Company
Any foreign-based company can open a branch in this free zone without minimum capital. The individual or corporate person need not be a resident of the UAE.
Types of Licensing Options
The companies have the following business licensing options:
- Industrial Activity
- Import and Re-export
- Service Activities
- Community Organizations.
- Shareholders can be an individual or a corporate entity
- The director can be an individual only
- No requirement to submit an audit report to the free zone authorities
- Minimum of 5-6 weeks to obtain the final trade license
- The company license must be renewed on an annual basis. The permit authority will charge a penalty continued after the expiry date.
Procedure for Business Registration in Dubai Biotech Research Park
The Biotech Research and Business Park has the same procedure for business registration as all other Dubai free zones:
1. Choose the Business Activity
This free zone provides different clusters for companies to penetrate in, such as:
- Agricultural, Forestry, Horticulture
- Medical/Scientific Devices or Equipment
- Specialty Supplies
- Diagnostics and Analysis
- Life Science Services
- Live Science Associations (non-profit).
2. Select a Business Structure
Choose an appropriate corporate structure as per your business requirements.
3. Finalize the Trade Name
Select an appropriate company name abiding by government guidelines.
4. Apply for Registration and Submit the Papers
Submit the documents mentioned below along with the registration application.
Documents Required for Registration
Free Zone Limited Liability Company (FZ-LLC)
Branch (UAE or Foreign)
|Business profile of individuals
|Certificate of Registration
|Passport copy of the owner
|Memorandum and Articles of Association (MAA)
|Manager's valid passport copy
|Manager's passport copy and attested signature
|Original banker's reference
|Parent company's profile
|Specimen signature of the manager
|Original free zone company application
5. Sign the Confirmation Letter and Make the Payments
Once the application and documents are reviewed, the confirmation letter will be issued. Sign the letter and return it and also pay the necessary fees.
6. Sign the Documents and Get Your License
Sign the Articles and Memorandum of Association and collect the business license.
7. Open a Business Bank Account
Deposit the share capital after opening a free zone company bank account.
8. Sign the Other Agreements
Sign the lease and the personnel sponsorship agreement.
Dubai Biotech and Research Park have now become the leading Life Sciences cluster in the Middle East with leading companies in the pharmaceutical, biotechnology, medical devices, and agriculture-based businesses that are licensed by the authority and adding to the success of the free zone.
Commitbiz will handle all the business registration process, including ownerResolutionResolutionlicensing, VAT registration, employee visa services, availing the best work and lab facility, and all other legal formalities of a business at an affordable cost. Contact us, and our team will be glad to help you.
When was the Dubai biotech research park launched?
It was launched in the year 2005.
What are the specialities of the labs in DuBiotech?
Compressed gas lines and a vacuum system are readily available in the labs. They also have access to waste management and are equipped with advanced safety features.
How is the long-term lease facility in the Dubai Biotechnology and Research Park free zone?
The minimum lease is for 15 years in this zone.
What are the licensing options in the park of Dubai Biotechnology?
We can get the following licenses in this zone: Marketing, Consultancy, Industrial Activity, Service Activities, Warehousing, Community Organizations, Import and re-Export.
Do we require a specimen signature of the manager for incorporating a DuBiotech company?
Yes, the specimen signature would be required for a Free Zone Limited Liability Company.