Dubai provides one of the best opportunities for merchants around the globe to import, manufacture, re-export, and distribute a large number of products, including cosmetics, food, health, and many others. The Emirates is a hub for trade between different markets on an international level. Therefore, the country has made it mandatory to register your product before starting a business.
The cosmetic market is growing at a rapid pace. Being ranked among the world's highest per capita spenders on cosmetic products, the Emirate of Dubai is stated to be turning into one of the best beauty and personal care markets. Concerning the import and export of cosmetic products, the government of Dubai issues a mandatory regulation regarding cosmetic product registration. This regulation applies to all the cosmetic products manufactured industrially and placed in the Dubai market wherein the manufacture, packaging, distribution, and trade of cosmetic products should be first registered with the Dubai Municipality.
What is a Product Registration?
The primary concern of doing the cosmetic registration is the consumer safety wherein the process allows the CPSS (Consumer Products Safety Section) to evaluate the safety of cosmetic products when applying on skin, hair, or any exposed body part. However, with due registration, no cosmetic product will be manufactured, exported, imported, advertised, sold, and distributed in Dubai without registration. The registration of cosmetic product is valid only for five years.
Why is it Compulsory to Register a Product in Dubai?
A research was conducted by the DM where they found toxic chemicals used in numerous cosmetics. It was also found that, for nearly 3000 products, around 30% lead, 20/5 chromium, and 25% arsenic was mixed. Therefore, the DM made it compulsory to follow the guidelines for registering a product before taking it to the market. Other reasons where-
- To limit the trade of artificial and harmful products in the local market
- To assure the safety of consumers and maintain the quality of product
Benefits of Doing Product Registration in Dubai
- Import and re-export rights
- Label protection
- Hassle-free trade in and outside UAE
- Brand protection
Guidelines for Cosmetic Product Registration in Dubai
- Cosmetic product registration is necessary before selling the product in the local market
- Any company that wants to manufacture, import, distribute, or sell any beauty product must independently register that product. Registration is valid on a company level and needs the presence of a valid trade/industrial license in the UAE with the relevant activity
- The product must comply with the recommended health and safety specifications highlighted in CPSS
- In case the product gets rejected, the Product Assessment Report is given, and such product is not permitted to be distributed in the local market
Procedure to Register Your Cosmetic Product in Dubai
To register your product, you must have a registered company. The company must have a trade license in the United Arab Emirates as only a UAE company can register their product with the Dubai Municipality. The business activity must be cosmetic or general trading.
The further steps are explained as under-
- The applicant must have the Certificate of Free Sales (CFS) from the country of origin and issued by the health authority or a recognized body. Apart from this, Data Analysis report regarding the ingredients, chemical and physical properties of the product from a manufacturing company of the product, and laboratory test report either from the country of origin or from the Dubai Central Laboratory is mandatory
- Fill a product registration form available at the Dubai Municipality office
- The form must be filled according to the technical instructions available through the e-form program
- Apply for a label assessment of the product category. A sample of each product must be provided to CPSS. One can only submit label design slip of the product along with the application details
- When the CPSS reviews the label, they issue a Cosmetic Label Assessment Report which contains product description as well as details along with the remarks for modifying the report, is necessary
- Next step is the labelling of the product. The concerned person including a manufacturer, importer, supplier, distributor, and retailer must ensure that the products fulfil with the mandatory information standard
The original certificate is issued once everything is reviewed.
Documents Required for Registration
- Certificate of company registration
- Laboratory test report
- Certificate of free sales
- Analysis report of the product
The government of the UAE has created a scheme for Cosmetics and Personal Care Products, under which the companies in Dubai selling goods must comply with certain requirements related to the quality, packaging, and label requirements of cosmetics.