Widely known as the hub for trade and investment, Dubai’s dynamic and diversified economy offers a unique business environment for establishing a business. The country offers the best opportunities in the world for merchants to manufacture, import, re-export, and distribute a large number of products.
These products include cosmetics, health products, food, and many others. Due to this, the government of the UAE has made product registration in Dubai mandatory before establishing a business.
This applies to all commodities manufactured and distributed in Dubai. Let us know more about Product Registration.
What is Dubai Municipality Product Registration?
Product Registration in Dubai is the process of enrolling a product with Dubai Municipality (DM). The Dubai government controls the manufacturing, import, sale, and export of products and requires that all products are checked before being introduced in the Dubai market.
Each business must realize that every product they manufacture, export, import, advertise, sell or distribute in Dubai has to be registered following the DM regulations, which will therefore give you access to the entire GCC market in a seamless way. The benefits of registering your product are -
- It protects your brand and label.
- It grants you greater insight into your import and export rights
- It diminishes red tape when trading in the UAE and the broader GCC
- Low or no tax on manufacturing, importing, or re-exporting of commodities in Dubai
- A variety of products are permitted to be registered in Dubai, except for a few unhealthy and unethical ones.
Who Must Apply for Product Registration in Dubai?
Here are the people who must apply for registration –
The companies that manufacture food, cosmetics, or any other products within the UAE must register their products with Dubai Municipality. The local manufacturers must request the Consumer Products Safety Section to make sure their products are properly registered.
The company representatives are recommended to make sure that their products have received proper certifications before the goods enter the UAE market.
The importer is responsible for all matters about product registration at Dubai Municipality. Representatives of foreign manufacturers are to take the necessary steps to make sure that cosmetic products meant for the local market are registered before consignments of such products are imported to Dubai.
In the event of any abuse in this regard, the shipment of the unregistered product would be cleared only with a single warning.
How to Proceed with the Dubai Municipality Product Registration?
Individuals or Businesses who import or locally manufacture products or import or manufacture products on their behalf are liable to have their products registered. The product registration is valid for five years, and it can be continued after renewal.
The steps are as follows –
1. Meet the Firm’s Requirements
The companies that are based out of Dubai or in the UAE Free Zones can process the product registration. The firm must have a valid trade license.
The firm that is conducting appropriate business activity and is a local company can register its product with the DM.
2. Register with the Dubai Municipality
Once the company is set up, you will have to register with the DM. The authority requires some necessary information about the company, such as trade license, contact details, email address, etc.
3. Submit the Required Documents
Submit the documents with the DM to apply for the label assessment of products in your product category.
The documents required under step 3 are -
- Free sale certificate (attested by a government authority in the country of origin)
- Ingredients report (signed and stamped by the business or brand owner)
- Analysis report (signed and stamped by the company or brand owner)
- Good manufacturing practice (GMP) certificate (needed for health supplements and all regionally manufactured products)
- Material safety data sheet (for detergents/air fresheners and scented candles)
- Halal certification from a certified Islamic society (for health supplements containing animal-derived ingredients, e.g., gelatine/collagen / stearic acid, etc., and any product is declared to be Halal).
4. Submit a Product Sample
Next, you will have to submit a product sample to CPSS. Once the evaluation of the label is done, the Municipality will issue a Label Assessment Report, which comprises a product description.
- Submit Consumer Product Registration Service Application (CPRE) and pay the charges
- The first check assesses whether the product follows DM regulations and whether the required documents are uploaded.
- If there are any significant remarks, they will be denied. Major comments include: free sale certificate and ingredient report not uploaded; failed lab test; inconsistent illustration (name/ shape/photos); banned ingredient / exceeding concentration; the product is not within the scope.
- If there are only minute remarks, the application will be sent back to the customer one time only to fulfill the missing requirements. These remarks may include label requirements; clinical study/scientific evidence requests; medical/unaccepted claims; lab test requests; additional required document(s)/certificate(s).
- Once everything is in place, the product will be registered, and an electronic registration certificate will be automatically generated.
It’s essential to note that the system will automatically cancel the CPRE application if payment is not made within 45 days of submission.
Product Registration Services in Dubai
There are a few categories under which products are registered. They are –
1. Cosmetic Product Registration
Cosmetic Product Registration in Dubai includes any substances or /products/pharmaceuticals intended to be placed in contact with the different external parts of the human body (epidermis, nails, hair system, lips, and external genital organs) or with the teeth and the mucous membranes of the oral cavity with the intention of exclusively or mainly to clean, perfume, correct body odors, change appearance, protect and keep these parts in good condition.
2. Food Product Registration
To manage the Dubai food market could not be organized without forming proper food control standards enforced by an active, efficient & productive food control authority. The Dubai Municipality intends to certify the safety and quality of imported & re-exported food while assuring hassle-free & prompt procedures and transactions to facilitate food trade.
3. Health Supplement Product Registration
The purpose of the procedure is to ensure the compliance of the health supplements with the endorsed conditions and specifications, to avoid the organization that imports /deals with/ manufactures these products, the rejection of their shipments when arriving at Dubai’s port, or the appropriation from the local market.
4. Detergent and Disinfectant Product Registration
Detergents, disinfectants, and antiseptics are being classified in a class that needs registration before entering the UAE jurisdictions. Since Dubai is a cosmopolitan city where everyone chooses to live clean by regularly trying to keep hotels, buildings, apartments, and other places clean, those factors raise Dubai’s demand for detergents and disinfectants.
Our consultants at Commitbiz can escort you through the process in a hassle-free manner. Right from business incorporation to product registration, we are here for you.
Get in touch with us today.
Who should apply for product registration in Dubai?
The local and foreign manufacturers should apply for the registration of their respective products.
When will the system automatically cancel the application form for the Dubai product registration?
It will be cancelled if the payment is not made within 45 days of submission.
For what is the Dubai GMP certificate required?
The GMP (Goods Manufacturing Practice) certificate is required for health supplements and all products manufactured regionally.
What is the Dubai material safety data sheet needed for?
It is required for air fresheners, scented candles, and detergents.
Which services are eligible for product registration in Dubai Municipality?
The services are as follows:
Detergent and Disinfectant