Widely known as the hub for trade and investment, Dubai’s dynamic and diversified economy offers a unique business environment for establishing a business. The country offers the best opportunities in the world for merchants to manufacture, import, re-export, and distribute a large number of products. These products include cosmetics, health products, food, and many others. Due to this, the government of the UAE has made it mandatory to register your products before establishing a business. This applies to all commodities manufactured and distributed in Dubai.
Let us know more about Product Registration.
What is Dubai Product Registration?
Product Registration in Dubai is the process of enrolling a product with Dubai Municipality.
(DM). The Dubai government controls the manufacturing, import, sale, and exports of products and requires that all products are checked before being introduced in Dubai market.
Each business must realize that every product they manufacture, export, import, advertise, sell or distribute in Dubai has to be registered following the DM regulations which will therefore give you access to the entire GCC market in a seamless way.
The benefits of registering your product are -
- It protects your brand and label
- It grants you with greater insight into your import and export rights
- It diminishes red tape when trading in the UAE and broader GCC
- Low or no tax on manufacturing, importing, or re-exporting of commodities in Dubai
- A variety of products are permitted to be registered in Dubai except for a few unhealthy and unethical ones
Who must Apply for Product Registration in Dubai?
Here are the people who must apply for registration -
The companies that manufacture food, cosmetics or any other products within the UAE must register their products with Dubai Municipality. The local manufacturers must request the Consumer Products Safety Section to make sure their products are properly registered. The company representatives are recommended to make sure that their products have received proper certifications before the goods enter the UAE market.
The importer is responsible for all matters about the product registration at Dubai Municipality. Representatives of foreign manufacturers are to take the necessary steps to make sure that cosmetic products meant for the local market are registered before consignments of such products are imported to Dubai. In the event of any abuse in this regard, the shipment of the unregistered product would be cleared only with a single warning.
Steps to Register your Product with Dubai Municipality
Individuals or Businesses who import or locally manufacture products, or import or manufacture products on their behalf are liable to have their products registered. The product registration is valid for five years, and it can be continued after renewal.
The steps are -
1. Set up a Business
The companies that are based out of Dubai or in the UAE Free Zones can process the product registration. The firm must have a valid trade license. The firm who is conducting appropriate business activity and is a local company can register its product with the DM
2. Register with the Dubai Municipality
Once the company is set up, you will have to register with the DM. The authority requires some necessary information about the company such as trade license, contact details, email address etc.
3. Submit the Required Documents
Submit the documents with the DM to apply for the label assessment of products in your product category. Next, you will have to submit a product sample to CPSS. Once the evaluation of the label is done, the Municipality will issue a Label Assessment Report, which comprises a product description.
Let us understand the third step in a detailed-manner -
- Submit Consumer Product Registration Service Application (CPRE) and pay the charges
- The first check assesses whether the product follows with DM regulation and the required documents are uploaded.
- If there are any significant remarks, it will be denied. Major comments include: free sale certificate and ingredient report not uploaded; failed lab test; inconsistent illustration (name/ shape/photos); banned ingredient / exceeding concentration; the product is not within the scope.
- If there are only minute remarks, the application will be sent back to customer one time only to fulfil the missing requirements. These remarks may include: label requirements; clinical study/scientific evidence request; medical / unaccepted claims; lab test request; additional required document(s)/certificate(s).
- Once everything is in place, the product will be registered, and an electronic registration certificate will be automatically generated.
It’s essential to note that the system will automatically cancel the CPRE application if payment is not made within 45 days of submission.
The documents required under step 3 are -
- Free sale certificate (attested by a government authority in the country of origin)
- Ingredients report (signed and stamped by the business or brand owner)
- Analysis report (signed and stamped by the company or brand owner)
- Good manufacturing practice (GMP) certificate (needed for health supplements and all regionally manufactured products)
- Material safety data sheet (for detergents/air fresheners and scented candles)
- Halal certification from certified Islamic society (for health supplements containing animal-derived ingredients, e.g. gelatine/collagen / stearic acid, etc., and any product declaring to be Halal)
Why Should You Register your Products in Dubai?
Product registration ensures the safety of customers and helps put a stop to trading fake and harmful products in the UAE. All the products have to be registered with the Dubai Municipality Control. If you don’t get your products registered or they don’t pass the procedure, then they can’t be sold. This is why it’s vital to get your products registered after you’ve formed your company in UAE.
To tell you more clearly, Dubai Municipality conducted a survey wherein found that there are some chemicals used in different cosmetics. The products were banned since they were not safe to use.
Product Registration Services in Dubai
There are a few categories under which products are registered. They are -
Cosmetic Product Registration
Cosmetic Product Registration includes any substances or /products/pharmaceuticals intended to be placed in contact with the different external parts of the human body (epidermis, nails, hair system, lips and external genital organs) or with the teeth and the mucous membranes of the oral cavity with the intention of exclusively or mainly to clean, perfume, correct body odours, change appearance, protect and keep these parts in good condition.
Food Product Registration
Dubai has been established as the market for import and re-exports for Asia & North African countries in the past four decades. Dubai Port is used for whole GCC & North African traders. Food Products are one of the leading sectors which are imported in Dubai and re-exported in other countries. To manage such a market, it could not be organized without forming proper food control standards enforced by an active, efficient & productive food control authority. This Dubai Municipality intends to certify the safety and quality of imported & re-exported food while assuring hassle-free & prompt procedures and transactions to facilitate food trade.
Health Supplement Product Registration
The purpose of the procedure is to ensure the compliance of the health supplements with the endorsed conditions and specifications, to avoid the organization which imports /deals with/ manufactures these products, the rejection of their shipments when arriving at Dubai’s port or the appropriation from the local market.
Detergent and Disinfectant Product Registration
Detergent, disinfectants, and antiseptics are being classified in a class that needs registration before entering the UAE jurisdictions. Since Dubai is a cosmopolitan city where everyone chooses to live clean by regularly trying to keep hotels, buildings, apartments and other places clean, those factors raise Dubai’s demand for detergents and disinfectants. The weather in Dubai also makes it essential for owners of a building to keep it clean daily. This also enhances the importance of detergents and disinfectants in Dubai.
Need to Register your Product in Dubai? We can help
The product registration method may seem a little daunting, particularly given that the decision the Dubai Municipality gives you will determine the future of your product and whether it reaches the market at all. But to register a product with Dubai Municipality doesn’t have to be frightening and it shouldn’t slow you down in your ambitions for your company.
So with that in mind, it’s always worth working with professionals who understand the procedure and can guide you through it. It gives peace of mind and means that if there are any bumps in the road, you’re in experienced hands with the best possible advice on how to manoeuvre.
Our consultants at Commitbiz can escort you through the process in a hassle-free manner. Right from business incorporation to product registration, we are here for you.
Get in touch with us today.
1. Who should apply for product registration in Dubai?
The local and foreign manufacturers should apply for the registration of their respective products.
2. When will the system automatically cancel the application form for the Dubai product registration?
It will be cancelled if the payment is not made within 45 days of submission.
3. For what is the Dubai GMP certificate required?
The GMP (Goods Manufacturing Practice) certificate is required for health supplements and all products manufactured regionally.
4. What is the Dubai material safety data sheet needed for?
It is required for air fresheners, scented candles, and detergents.
5. Which services are eligible for product registration in Dubai Municipality?
The services are as follows:
Detergent and Disinfectant.