Expo 2020 Dubai is all set to collaborate with the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO). The primary purpose is to promote entrepreneurship and investment around the world to help realize the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) was signed by both the organizations that will lead them to work together on a few targets for 2030 through exploring initiatives such as thought leadership and sharing knowledge as well as by co-hosting events.
The SDGs agreed by the UN in 2015 and aimed to end poverty, ensure prosperity for all, and protect the planet. The targets have specific goal sets to be achieved by 2030, which includes reducing premature mortality from non-communicable diseases or eradicating poverty.
UN body and Expo 2020 collaboration involve initiatives of mutual interest and joint projects. The platform is offering an incredible growth and bringing the world together. The theme of ‘Connecting Minds, Creating the Future, Opportunity, Mobility, and Sustainability’ are fully aligned with the Sustainable Development Goals along with the commitment and support system of Dubai Expo 2020. The mandate is to promote sustainable and inclusive development in Dubai to achieve shared prosperity and environmental sustainability all over the world. The mission is enshrined in Sustainable Development Goal Number 9: ‘Build a resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization, and foster innovation’.
Dubai Expo 2020 is following a similar path which looks forward to creating a brighter future for all. The partnership between the two proves that the private sector can make significant contributions to sustainable and inclusive development. It brings countries, corporations, organizations, and educational institutions together to approach these pressing issues.
Sustainable Development Goals
There are chief sustainable development goals that the partnership has planned:
1. Remove Poverty
- From a change of sources, including through enhanced development cooperation, they want to ensure significant mobilization of resources to provide predictable and adequate means for developing countries, which include the least developed countries in particular. Their goal is to implement programs in all dimensions and end poverty.
- Based on pro-poor and gender-sensitive development strategies, create sound policy frameworks at the regional, national, and internal levels to support accelerated investment in poverty eradication actions.
2. No Hunger
- End hunger and ensure way in by all people by 2030. The poor and people in unsafe situations in particular and including infants, nutritious, sufficient and safe food all year round.
- Double the agricultural production and incomes of small-scale food procedures by 2030, women, in particular, family farmers, indigenous people, pastoralists and fishers, including through equal and secure access to land. Other productive resources and inputs, financial services, knowledge, opportunities, and markets for value addition and non-farm employment are also targeted.
3. Good Health and Well-Being
- Ensuring health-care services with the support of research and development of medicines and vaccines for communicable and non-communicable diseases that primarily infect developing countries. Adding on to that, providing access to affordable essential vaccines and drugs, following the Doha Declaration on the TRIPS Agreement and Public Health which promises the right of developing countries.
- Build up the capacity of all countries, developing countries in particular, for risk reduction, early warning, and management of national as well as global health risks.
4. Quality Education
- Build and upgrade education facilities that are gender-sensitive and child, disability and provide peaceful, safe, inclusive, and effective learning environments for all. Substantially increase the supply of professional teachers by 2030, including through international cooperation for teacher training in developing countries, especially the least developed in developed countries and small island developing states.
- They are planning to expand the number of scholarships globally, particularly in the least developed countries, African countries, and small island developing States and by 2030, ensuring that all learners acquire the knowledge and skills which are needed at all levels of education to promote sustainable development through education and sustainable lifestyles.
5. Gender Equality
- Strengthen and adopt sound policies and legislation which is enforceable for the encouragement of gender equality and the empowerment of all women and girls at all levels.
- The reforms that are to be undertaken to give women equal rights to economic resources and access to ownership as well as control over land and other forms of property, inheritance and natural resources and financial services following national laws.
6. Sustainable Cities and Communities
- Support positive economic, environmental, and social roles to ensure access to affordable housing and essential services and upgrade slums.
- Significantly minimize the number of deaths and the number of people affected along with decreasing the direct economic losses which are mostly affected by global gross domestic product, including water-related disasters, focusing on the protection of the poor and people in unsafe situations.
Dubai Expo 2020 is coming up with various new opportunities which will build its core economy rapidly by inspiring them to incorporate businesses in Dubai. It is indeed a great time of partnership with UNIDO because it will make sustainable development success. If you require an advisor to know more details about investing in a business in Dubai, get in touch with Commitbiz. Contact us today!