Dubai is currently the hot place for establishing all types of businesses and professions in the United Arab Emirates. It is consistently in a drive to improve quality of life for its citizens and expat residents. One of such thriving business in that of a healthcare professional. The Government of Dubai is ever ready to assist investors and professionals of general medical and dental care. It is sometimes impossible for a country to provide all types of healthcare facilities through government-controlled hospitals. Therefore Dubai allows its healthcare professionals to open a private dental clinic or a general clinic. This facility is available in mainland as well as some part of free zones like the Dubai Healthcare City (DHCC).
How to Open a Dental Clinic in Dubai?
Dental Clinic in Dubai can be started by professionals with an authentic medical degree or through directory of clinic with required qualifications. The registration process includes a few steps like,
- Selection of a Trade name for the Clinic. The name will be sent to DED for approval
- The investor shall then file an application to the DED for an initial approval. It includes attaching several documents along with the application like passport copy, layout plan for the clinic etc
- The next and the most important step is to apply for a license. This step will be explained in depth in the next section
- Next, the investor will prepare important documents like lease agreement, memorandum etc for registration of the clinic
- The second last step includes final approvals from DED and DHA. You shall submit all the prepared documents along with copy of initial approval and payment of fee for registration of company. The DED will issue the license after verification of these documents.
- Last step is to apply for DHA license by creating a profile on DHA official portal. The authority will provide you with the license after scrutinizing through all the documents.
After the final step, the investor is free to open his/her clinic in desired location
Licensing Procedure to Open a Dental Clinic in Dubai
You ought to have a Professional License from Department of Economic Development (DED) if you want to set up a dental clinic in Dubai. The license must also be approved by Dubai Healthcare Authority (DHA) who is the main authority providing specific licenses for resident doctors, consultants, interns, specialists, and general practitioners. You will also require a local service agent for registration of the license. Before going deep, let us first know the licensing requirements provided by the DHA for individuals who want to start their own dental clinic.
Licensure Requirements for Dentists to Start a Dental Clinic
The dentists who want to apply for the license must have one of the following degrees:
- BDS (Bachelor of Dental Surgery)
- DMD (Doctor of Dental Medicine)
- DDS (Doctor of Dental Surgery)
- Equivalent from a nationally accredited dental school/college
Apart from this, the other dental practice guidelines are as follows,
- For graduates from the UAE dental college/universities, the program and university must be accredited by the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research (MOHESR)
- The dentist is required to complete one year internship post-graduation
- The applicant must have a valid license and registration to practice in their home country or the country of last employment
- Applicants who are accepted into the Authorities Approved Residency Programs will be granted the licensure title ‘Resident’
- Dental Specialty certificates will be accepted with the following conditions:
- Must be obtained after a full-time structured clinical residency program of minimum three years course duration
- Clinical Master degree of minimum two years of full time course duration
- Clinical PhD of minimum three years course duration
- Specialization certificates with stated validity period will not be considered if invalid at the time of application
- Specialists with Tier 1 or 2 qualifications are not required to have experience post qualification in the specialty field
Recognized Specialities Title by DHA for Licensing
Only the following Dentistry Specialties are recognized by DHA in Dubai
- Dental Radiology
- Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
- Oral Medicine
- Oral Surgery
- Pediatric Dentistry
- Primary Care Dentistry
- Restorative Dentistry
- Forensic Dentistry
Registration and Issuance of Dental Clinic License in Dubai
Once all is set, it is time for registration and issuance of dental license. Following step-by-step procedure will help you understand with better clarity.
- Register yourself in the Dubai Healthcare Authority official portal
- Next, to register for a license you need to have documents. The list of documents is as under,
- Personal Information
- Nationally accredited educational qualifications recognized by DHA Professionals Qualification Requirements (PQR)
- Educational transcripts (official)
- Mark list of the whole year
- Recent professional experience based on DHA PQR criteria
- Valid professional license (for expat who is already practicing)
- Registration from the country of last employment
- Valid Good Standing Certificate not older than 6 months.
- Medical fitness test (if applicant age was 65 and above), and the test should be conducted only by medical fitness centers at DHA
- Valid Passport Copy
- Passport size photograph
- The next step is to pass the DHA assessment in order to obtain the professional license. This assessment shall depend on the healthcare professionals title and may include but not limited to oral tests
- After the licensing exam you will be given an eligibility letter if the exam is successful, offer letter from the recruiting facility including the professional title, facility stamp, and signature of Medical Director or authorized person and malpractice insurance from the recruiting facility
If you are interested in opening a dental clinic, then you will have to perform the above step or you can hire a consultant to do so. We at Commitbiz have years of experience in this field and shall help you is registration of the license. Contact us today for further information.