Under the Dubai Economic Development (DED), the Dubai Government has started a new operation called "Electronic Cigarette & Accessory Trade" under the class "Tobacco and Smoking Accessories Trade." This action is registered in mainland of Dubai and will allow investors to have the E-cigarettes trading on the local market lawfully.
It is a commercial activity involving the resale of electronic cigarettes, electronic devices that operate by heating a liquid called e-juice that creates a vapor that the consumer inhales. The e-juice may contain nicotine or may not, and you need to do your product registration in UAE for this activity.
The E-cigarette is intended to enhance the cigarette and narghile smoking experience and can help users stop smoking. Dubai Government has made the sale of Electronics cigarettes legal in Dubai as of April 15, 2019.
Vape License and E-Cigarette Product Registration in Dubai
An Electronic cigarette is an electrical machine that resembles smoking a cigarette. The act of using an e-cigarette is also known as vaping.
In an e-cigarette, there is a liquid that may or may not contain nicotine. It is also used in many parts of the world and is considered a helping device to quit smoking.
Products entering the Emirates must first be licensed with Emirates Standardization and Metrology Authority (ESMA) and, once licensed, can be sold anywhere in the UAE without any further approvals. The producer, packaging, distribution, and exchange of electronic-cigarette products should then be licensed with the Municipality of Dubai.
UAE ESMA Approval
This move would ensure the inspection of ingredients and limit the use of banned substances. So, it'll protect people's health & safety.
The step would also prevent purchasing unregulated goods that are readily available online. It will cover all complete electronic nicotine products used as an alternative to traditional electronic shisha, electronic cigarettes, electronic pipes, vaping devices, and fluid refills under the new law.
Before discussing the registration procedure for your electronic cigarettes’ goods, let us first understand the guidelines specified by the Dubai Government, which must be followed before registering your product.
Things to Consider for Registering Electronic Cigarette Products with ESMA UAE
- Valid commercial license
- Trademark registration with UAE authorities (recommended as a holding of wealth from an offshore company registered in UAE)
- The manufacturing plants will follow minimum specifications (ISO 9001) by applying the QMS Manual
- Coloring was declared in the ingredients
- Ethylene Glycol
- Diethyl Glycol
- ECAS (Emirates Enforcement Assessment Scheme), name mark certificate
- Laboratory test report in UAE for the following materials, as referred to in clause 4.1.11. ISO 17025 certified laboratory SGSO 5030 will only be relevant for one year (this will not be more than one year)
- Nicotine composition
- Heavy metal concentrations, lead, cadmium, mercury, chrome, nickel, iron, fluoride, and tin
- One intensity of flavor profile/framework/nicotine should have one test report
- The full test report will be submitted at the time of renewal
- Manufacturing claim for inability to include the prohibited materials referred to in section 4.1.11 of UAE standards
- Notice of compliance with standard GSO ISO 8317 UAE, which is child-safe packaging
- Dosage and nicotine intake data when taken under usual or reasonably planned conditions
- Proof of the time of validity on the product label
- Manufacturer risk mitigation report
- Ownership of Distributors (For Traders)
- List of descending ingredients, including a percentage of each trade name of ingredients, their functionality, the emission of each ingredient, toxicity, and including literature data
- Electronic Conformity Statement
- No UAE.S / GSO IEC 60335-1 IEC CB test reports and certificates as per standard
- Compliance with plug specifications as per standard BS 1363, earth plugs, and fuse
- Pictures of the score label on the product
- User guide in English and Arabic
- Profile of production cycle with the flow diagram.
How to Register Your Product and Get an ESMA Certification in UAE?
The main aim of e-cigarette registration is to regulate the entry into the market of goods dependent on chemicals. It is a matter of fact that the municipal government is designing long-term policies and concentrating on inspection and random monitoring in collaboration with companies, factories, and distributors.
The specific steps to be taken while registering an electronic cigarette business setup in UAE at the authorities are listed below.
Get a Certificate of Free Sales
Before registering, the buyer must have a certificate of free sales (CFS) issued by health officials or approved bodies from the country of origin.
Get a License from the Dubai Municipality
The company must also be legally licensed with the Municipality of Dubai (DM). Once you have reviewed the above points, you can fill in the e-cigarette registration form accessible in Dubai Municipality and the official website.
Submit the E-Form
Once the form has been filled out, keeping in mind the guidance available through the e-form system, you can apply it with a copy of the current product and the label evaluation to be registered.
Prepare the Required Documents
- Product Analysis Report- This document contains all the essential ingredients, chemical and physical characteristics of the products
- Report on Laboratory Research
- Certificate of registration at a company.
Get the Certificate
Once the formalities have been completed, a consumer product registration report shall be prepared. The feedback on the application’s status will be communicated continuously accordingly; the original certificate will be shared once the report is ready.
Obtain the License
The owner of electronic cigarettes must have a valid trade license. If you are working on the mainland, the license is provided by the Department of Economic Development or the Dubai Health Authority.
If you are operating in a freezone, the license is issued by Trakhees Commercial Licensing Division, which is usable for the authorized activity. The licensed activity should be complied with by the establishment.
Register Your Vape Business in Dubai and Get Certified by the ESMA in UAE
The new policy allows the legal selling of electronic cigarettes and vaping device in Dubai. Manufacturers can sell battery-operated products as long as they meet the new guidelines and have health warnings similar to traditional cigarettes.
The new regulation allows the sale of electronic cigarettes, electronic pipes, vape electronic devices, plus liquid flasks. Electronic cigarettes are expected to be available in stores.
It is advisable to maintain a consultant's support during e-cigarette registration in the UAE so that you can keep up with the government's revised regulations. You can contact us when you wish to register your electronic cigarette in the UAE.
When did the sale of e-cigarettes and vapers had been permitted in Dubai?
What are the various steps involved in opening a vape business?
- Choose between a franchise or an independent shop.
- Know the rules and apply for a legal license
- Gather finances
- Select a vape shop location
- Stocking products and arranging an inventory
- Hiring qualified staff
Whether a license required for the e-cigarette and vaping business?
Who would provide the trading license if the e-cigarette company is in Dubai mainland?
The trading license for e-cigarette companies in Dubai mainland is given by the Department of Economic Development or the Dubai Health Authority.
Is vaping allowed indoors in Dubai?
Vaping is only permitted in areas where smoking is allowed.
Is the vaping business profitable in Dubai?
Yes, Vaping business has seen continuous growth in the past few years.
What is the purpose of vaping products?
The purpose of vaping business is to aid people trying to quit using traditional cigarettes and tobacco.