Dubai is among the few cities of the world where one can witness an incredibly high standard of living. The corporate lifestyle includes attending business meetings, parties, always networking with the global crowd and addressing international market. With this, the people of Dubai and even the people representing foreign entities prefer to look their best. The high standard of living becomes an apparent reason for the success of the spa business in Dubai. For opening a spa business in Dubai, this article addresses the concerns of obtaining spa license in Dubai, types of spa license in Dubai, cost of opening a spa in Dubai and how to start a business in Dubai.
Dubai is among the few cities in the world where one can witness an incredibly high standard of living. The corporate lifestyle includes attending business meetings and parties, always networking with the global crowd, and addressing an international market.
With this, the people of Dubai and even the people representing foreign entities prefer to look their best. The high standard of living becomes an apparent reason for the success of the spa business in the Emirate.
For opening a spa business in Dubai, this article addresses the concerns of obtaining a spa license in Dubai, the types of spa licenses, the cost of opening a spa, and how to start the business.
The Guidelines for Opening a Spa in Dubai
The planning department of Dubai Municipality approves the spa site based on the following aspects.
- The mandatory placing of a signboard in front of the spa
- Appropriate lighting to be used for the spa facility
- The height of the spa space is supposed to be more than 2.30 meters
- A separate area assigned for beauty treatments involving hygiene concerns comprising an area of more than 2.50m x 1.50m, including appropriate partition
- There should be a wash basin beside the facial treatments zone
- Placement of fireproof materials for hair removal services
- A water heater installation is a must in place
- Furnishing should include cupboards and drawers for cosmetics, towels, and electronics.
Health/ Hygiene Requirements to Get the Spa License in Dubai
This degree of services is beneficial to be set up in populated areas. Therefore, choosing to set up the spa business in Dubai mainland, where a spa can easily attract several prospects looking for spa services.
The following requirements should be met.
- The owner must have an Occupational Health Card from Dubai Municipalities Clinic and Community Health
- Personal hygiene of staff
- Light-colored uniforms must be worn by employees. Dark colored for hair coloring
- Hands must be washed after attending to each customer
- Avoid dealing with customers having skin problems
- All staff must be properly trained
- A sufficient number of towels and aprons must be there to avoid re-use
- Presence of a sufficient number of hair and personal care tools that are made of non-rust materials, free of cracks and sediments, with high quality
- Hair dyes, cosmetics, and personal care products must be registered from Consumer Products Safety Section in Dubai Municipality
- Pest control records from an approved third party should be available in the facility
- Waste bin with cover for waste collection
- Commitment towards general cleaning throughout the premises. The facility should implement effective cleaning and disinfection in all areas (not limited to cabinets/drawers/shelves) to ensure hygiene within the facility. Daily cleaning checklist for the entire premises should be provided
- A cupboard for keeping clothes
- Disposable bed sheet roles to cover the massage beds after each use
- Plastic laundry basket for the collection of soiled towels/aprons/uniforms must be available
- Disposable slippers in each massage room.
Specific Requirements to Open a Spa and Massage Center in Dubai
It is possible to start a spa either on the Dubai mainland or in free zones. Generally advisable to start on the mainland, but wherever you start, some specific requirements should be met.
- The Dubai Health Authority must first permit the usage of any machine
- If you wish to have the Spa at your residential premises, you will require permission from the Dubai Economic Development Department
- Each Spa Centre should provide services to one gender only (male or female), and the staff who offer these services should be from the same gender (male staff to male clients, female staff to female clients)
- If the Spa Centre provides services for both males and females, a separate entrance (with separate reception) must be available for each gender, and the center must mention working hours timings for each gender at the entrance of the premise
- The door between the gent's and ladies’ facility should be closed permanently
- Special permit /approval to work after 12 midnight should be obtained
- Internal announcements (Arabic and English) must be displayed in noticeable areas covering the following points-
- Indicate that the center is not for healthcare and does not provide medical services for patients
- Informing clients to seek medical advice from the doctor in case of sickness before receiving the service
- Caution/restriction on pregnant people from taking the service.
License Requirements to Open a Spa and Massage Center, Dubai
- A valid trade license issued by Trakhees should be secured and displayed in the facility
- The commercial name should reflect the service provided by the center and must not reflect any medical activity
- A valid Dubai Health Authority (DHA) license for all the staff should be secured if applicable
- Updated staff list and OHC Inspection form must be available
- Assigned staff should obtain Occupational Health Card (OHC) issued by Trakhees- Public Health and Safety Section
- Only the activities which are permitted in the license are allowed to be performed by the facility
- NOC from the commercial control section must be secured.
How to Set Up a Dubai Spa?
The procedure for opening a spa and securing a spa license in Dubai is mentioned below.
Plan on Your Finances
Depending on the jurisdiction and type of spa, an estimation can be forged regarding the required funds for your spa business and its returns in a specific period.
Get the Initial Approval
Explicit initial approval from DED upon choosing a name for your spa business.
Submit the Essential Documents
Submit all the documents mentioned below to the DED for the final approval for setting up the Spa:
- Submit copies of the passport and visas of business partners.
- Draft and sign the Memorandum of Association with the local service agent for your spa business.
- Sign a rental agreement and get a tenancy contract for the spa establishment space.
- Obtain approval from the planning section and health & safety division of the DM (Dubai Municipality).
Make the Payment
The price of opening a ladies’ spa or a beauty salon in Dubai is starts from 12000 AED*. The cost varies depending on the scale of the spa business.
*Prices are subject to change. Kindly connect with us for confirmation.
Setting up a spa in Dubai is a promising venture though you may require our analysis on how to strategically set up a shop to maximize the scope of profitability. Feel free to contact us in regards to any query on obtaining a spa license in Dubai; we would be happy to answer you.
Which authority provides the initial approval for a spa license in Dubai?
Department of Economic Development.
Why is it advisable to set up a spa in Dubai mainland?
This degree of services is beneficial to be set up in populated areas, and therefore, it is advisable to set up the spa business on the mainland, where a spa can easily attract several prospects looking for spa services.
What are the internal announcements that must be displayed in Dubai spas?
Internal announcements (Arabic and English) must be displayed in noticeable areas covering the following points-
Indicate that the center is not for healthcare and does not provide medical services for patients
Informing clients to seek medical advice from the doctor in case of sickness before receiving the service
Caution/restriction on pregnant people from taking the service.
Which card should be obtained by the assigned staff in a Dubai spa?
Assigned staff should obtain Occupational Health Card (OHC) issued by Trakhees- Public Health and Safety Section.
Which authority must permit the usage of any machine in a spa or a massage center in Dubai?
Dubai Health Authority.