The World Expo in Dubai is historical for the emirate because Dubai is the first ever country to host such a prestigious event in the whole Middle East. It’s the date everyone is waiting for, let’s look at what it’s going to bring for this amazing city.
What is Expo?
It is a large- scale, a global event which is organized by the respective governments to serve the people with innovative ideas and to inspire them to better living with the main objective of making a long-term investment for the future of the nation that would naturally strengthen the economy of the said country.
For people it is a global destination to share ideas, innovations, to collaborate and finally to celebrate together the essence of humanity. It is a great platform to showcase various educational and business missions which can be based on solutions and practices rather than materialistic things or products.
The very first World Expo was held at London's Crystal Palace in 1851. It emphasized on the various objects showing the inventions from the industrial revolution. There were in total around 10,000 objects in the expo. Whereas, the last and the most recent World Expo was held in Milan in 2015 under the theme of "Feeding the Planet, Energy for Life".
"Connecting Minds, Creating the Future"
"Ladies and gentlemen, Dubai wins."
These are the words which every Dubai Participant from the bid of November 2013 remembers. These words made every UAE resident happy. When in 2013, during the scenes of jubilation in Paris at the general assembly of the Bureau International des Expositions.
(BIE), they announced the name of Dubai, and when Dubai won by a majority with 116 votes leaving all major countries behind it created a scenic view of everyone’s emotions and fireworks filling the sky in Dubai as they exploded out of the Burj Khalifa.
After huge hard work and success of the whole committee, Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid, vice president and ruler of Dubai, said, “I am proud of our teams who earned this victory for Dubai with two years of hard work, dedication and commitment,”.
He added, “We renew our promise to astonish the world in 2020.”
And now Dubai is making every effort to make the said opportunity “World Expo 2020” a success. For the said expo Dubai is giving a whole new definition to the word ‘Expo’ by ensuring to make it grand and a huge success. The World Expo 2020 is scheduled to run from October 2020 to April 2020 for a period of six months. The Expo 2020 intends to host a mega event for impressing the world. For this, Dubai is making huge investments for the future development and strengthening of the economy. The Dubai World Expo 2020 is going to change the world.
Some highlights of the World Expo 2020 are,
- It is the largest event ever staged in the Arab world. It is set to welcome 190 participating countries, many companies and millions of visitors from across the globe.
- The expo has the main theme as "Connecting Minds, Creating the Future". It has its sub-theme being, Sustainability, Mobility, and Opportunity.
- The Expo site is situated in a new established city called, Dubai South which is close to AL Maktoum International airport. The said site covers an area of 4.38 sq km and has four big main entrances.
- Expo 2020 aspires to create a meaningful legacy that will benefit generations to come, both locally and globally, spanning everything from innovations and architecture to friendships and business opportunities.
- The Expo 2020 will attract over 25 million visitors in 6 months. The Expo will bring micro, small and medium-sized business alongside corporations. It will also bring governments other state-run bodies together. A new authority named, Dubai Creative Clusters Authority is working overnight to transform the city into a global hub for design and fashion by 2020.
- The staging of the world fair and the preparations leading up to it are expected to result in 277,000 new jobs in the UAE, an injection of nearly $40 billion into the economy, and an increase in visitors of at least 25 million and up to 100 million.
Expo 2020 and The UAE's Future
The report from the Global consultancy Er’s demonstrates that the expo 2020 will be having a huge impact on the UAE's future growth.
Dubai will host Expo 2020 and will play host to a global endeavor – to see a better world together. The core themes of Expo 2020 are as follows:
Opportunity, being the first subtheme of the expo 2020 will be showcasing the world, all those ideas which include education, employment, and ideas related to new opportunities. Mobility which is the second subtheme implies the bridge which connects people to innovation and knowledge. Mobility under the expo 2020 includes aspects such as digital connectivity, travel exploration and logistics. The last sub-theme is Sustainability, it’s a guiding force which shows how to grow opportunity. Under the Expo 2020, sustainability is one of the important factors wherein, the developments in the UAE specifically around food security and sustainability will be showcased.
The authority will be investing Dirham 40 million every year to boost the working of bodies such as Dubai Film and TV Commission, Dubai International Film Festival, and Dubai Design & Fashion Council.
The main mission of the Dubai World Expo is to develop the city or turn it into a flagship urban project and to set a benchmark for manifesting the themes of happiness all over the country as envisioned by Dubai plan 2012. The newly developed Dubai South will be surrounded by attractive recreational facilities and proper roads.
How Much Business is Expected
In the six months starting from October to April, the national GDP of Dubai shall be increased by 5.5% but it is not limited to just one country. It has been anticipated by the Standard Chartered Bank that the expo 2020 of Dubai will generate a revenue of at least 23 billion dollars. Approx. 277,000 new jobs. It has been assumed by most of the experts that Dubai Expo 2020 is definitely going to be beneficial for the economy.
How many visitors were there at the Dubai Expo 2020?
How many countries participated in Expo 2020?
What were the on-spot sales of food and beverages during the Expo 2020?
What is the growth rate of the oil industry?
$32.5 billion in 2022.
How much did hotel occupancies increase during Expo 2020?
68% in 2022.