The UAE Water Security Strategy 2036 was announced by the UAE Ministry of Energy and Industry in September 2017. The government decided to implement the strategy in light of disturbing reports regarding water shortages and drought crisis' plaguing neighboring regions such as parts of Africa, Saudi Arabia, etc. The situation became dire in 2018 when Cape Town had publicly announced hitting day zero, indicating that the region did not have any reserve of commercial water available for use by residents, locals, and tourists.
Aims of the Water Security Strategy 2036
The UAE has always been a global ambassador for sustainability and resource conservation to prevent a natural deficit of nature's most precious treasures. Water is similarly a cherished usable that plays a significant underappreciated role in all our lives. And in order to combat this crisis, the UAE has designed the strategy to tackle core problems as well as sub-issues that hamper the preservation and usage of water.
The Water Security Strategy 2036 aims to ensure that all UAE residents receive a proper water supply during regular instances and crises and emergencies. Apart from the primary goal, various outlined objectives to be achieved by 2036 are –
- Reduce the total demand for water resources by 21%.
- Increase the water productivity index to USD 110 per cubic meter.
- Reduce the water scarcity index by three degrees.
- Increase the reuse of treated water to 95%.
- Increase national water storage capacity to last in the following scenarios – 2 days in the standard scenario, 16 days during emergencies, and 45 days during extreme emergencies.
- Establishing new network lines for a more efficient supply of water.
- Water networks will provide 91 liters of water per person per day in cases of emergency or 30 liters per person per day in cases of extreme emergencies.
Features of the Strategy
The Ministry of Energy and Industry has designed the Water Security Strategy with attention given to data gathering, analytics, analysis, and problem-solving based on numerical data acquired. This will increase efficiency and allow the Ministry to maintain an overall water reserve inventory being utilized on a per quarter basis by commercial areas and residential areas.
But to have transparency and clarity across the timeline, the policymakers decided to implement three different programs ranging from demand calculation, supply management, and emergency/crisis management. The strategy is divided into three main programs designed by the Ministry to ensure equal attention is given to all the core aims of the initiative. These three programs are –
- Water Demand Management Programme
- Water Supply Management Programme
- Emergency Production and Distribution Programme
Endorsing Sustainability Tactics like Triple Bottom Line (TBL)
The Triple Bottom Line (TBL) is a framework or theory that recommends that companies commit to focusing on social and environmental concerns just as they do on profits. Various campaigns and events in the UAE, such as the Dubai Expo 2020, emphasize the importance of sustainability. These government policies have attracted large crowds of investors and businesses to set up business in the UAE. Thus, the UAE has emphasized the TBL framework many times specifying that companies operating in the Arab business market must focus their business on three critical aspects, which are – People, Profits, and Planet.
Why choose Commitbiz for UAE Business Setup?
A consultant strives to ensure the business kick-offs to perform exponentially in the market. Finally, when business scalability has been saturated, liquifies hassle-free, providing a suitable amount of remuneration to the top managers and available severance to the hard-working employees. The energetic and ever buzzing business environment in the UAE always leads new business owners to raise questions on how to set up business in the UAE.
Well, that's why UAE is home to industry professionals that cater to providing new business owners with step-by-step solutions to business setup services in UAE. We at Commitbiz have been catering to various clients across a tenure of over 15 years, providing our clients with tailor-made solutions for all their administrative activities, from accounting to company secretarial services. Our consultants have been diligently working to provide clients with nothing but the best in class services. Contact us to know more about starting your entrepreneurial journey in the UAE.
What is the objective of water security strategy 2036?
- Cut the total demand for water resources by 21%
- Reduce the water shortage index by three degrees by raising the water productivity index to USD 110 per cubic meter.
- Increase national water storage capacity by two days by increasing the reuse of treated water to 95%
What are the programmes undertaken in the water security strategy 2036?
- The Water Demand Management Programme
- The Water Supply Management Programme
- The Emergency Production and Distribution Programme.
What will be the water desalination capacity for each day?
1,590 million imperial gallons per day.
Why water security strategy 2036 was taken?
To solve the difficulties of water shortage.
What is the budget for water security strategy 2036?